Monday, May 26, 2014

Best Weekend In a Long Time...

Being a recently single mom, it's not often that I get much down time without my kids - let alone four days. However, their dad has been planning a trip with them for months so that is exactly what I got - 4 days, alone, without my kids.

Don't get me wrong, I missed them terribly, but it was time that I really needed to recharge my batteries and a chance for me to experience life outside of home and work.

Just because I didn't have my kids, though, doesn't mean that I wasn't busy. Every minute of my long weekend was jam packed, but I also enjoyed every second of it and wouldn't change a thing. I was able to go on several dates with my best guy friends (more on them later) and I was able to attend the first concert of my adult life - Blue October.

My Ex initially introduced me to Blue October back in 2007 when we first started dating. The ring tone on his phone was the chorus of their song "Hate Me", which I loved. This lead to the purchase of my first album, Foiled. I have listened to them on and off over the last 7 years, but they recently released a new album - Sway - back in August 2013. I discovered this album back in December - right when my ex moved out and we began our divorce proceedings. That album helped me get through the next 6 months to where I am at today. I can relate to every single song and their music just touches my soul in the way that nothing else comes close to.

I loved the album so much that I looked at the band's website to se if they would be touring near me. At the time (back in March), they didn't have any stops that would be anywhere near me. I was bummed, but I signed up for their newsletter to keep up to date on them. A couple of days later, I received an email stating that they had added more dates to their spring tour and would be in Des Moines, IA - just a short 2 hour drive from me. I bought my tickets right away knowing that I HAD to see them.

I ended up going to the concert by myself and really had a much better time than I had ever dreamed of. I was in the front row, just to the right of center stage, in the thick of it all. It really was as close to a religious experience as I will ever come. I knew the words to every single song they sang and I sang right along with them and danced as if I was the only person there. I also treated myself to a Meet & Greet ticket and got to meet the band and attend their sound check before the show. That in itself was an amazing experience.

The band is currently on break for the summer, but will be touring again in the fall. The closest that they will be to me is Chicago - a 4 hour drive - but I think I'm going to make the trip just for the chance to see them again.


No comments:

Post a Comment